On December 8, 1889, in the little village of Steyl in the Netherlands, Arnold Janssen founded the women’s Mission Congregation, Servants of the Holy Spirit. He had already opened the first men’s German mission house there in 1875 and founded the Society of the Divine Word (SVD). The women who came to Steyl, hoping to become missionary sisters and dedicate their lives to the work of spreading the faith, went through a long and arduous time of waiting. Seven years of perseverance in difficult living and working conditions tested and clarified their vocation before they finally began their religious life. In 1893 the Bishop of Roermond approved their constitutions. On March 12, 1894 the first twelve sisters took their vows.