The goal of formation in our Congregation is our growth and constant maturing in the following of Christ along the way of the evangelical counsels as Servants of the Holy Spirit. We are to become increasingly capable of fulfilling the mission of the Congregation: to proclaim and witness to saving love of the Triune God among all peoples.
We welcome women
between the ages of 20 and 40 who:
Feel called by God
to a religious - missionary life;
Enjoy good physical
and mental health;
Are able to help others and
who are open to personal
and professional growth;
Want to share their lives
and faith with other women
who have similar goals.
Process of Formation
For us, Holy Spirit Missionary Sisters,
a continuous process
of encountering our God
and responding to
God's creative Word.
our missionary formation
is a life-long journey of conversion
and transformation in Christ.
While the transformation is
primarily the work of
God's Spirit in us,
it demands our personal response.
Our formation process enables us
to know Christ more deeply,
to grow in the capacity
for greater self-gift,
and to develop the gifts that
God has given us through service to others.
Phases of Formation
All the various phases of formation are to be seen as a whole, with particular emphases and goals for each phase. We can differentiate six phases of formation:
1 - The Awareness Phase involves being in communication with the S.Sp.S. vocation director for a period of at least three months. During this time:
- You will be encouraged to continue your growth in developing a life of prayerful reflection.
- You will be asked to get in touch with your attraction toward religious life and with your reasons for desiring to become a missionary.
- We will ask you to explore other Christian lifestyles such as marriage and the single life as ways of serving Christ in His Church.
- We will also encourage you to ask questions about us, Holy Spirit Missionary Sisters, our lifestyle, our mission, and our formation process.
2 - The Affiliate Phase offers you the opportunity to discern your call to religious life. This phase offers you the opportunity to:
- Develop a more personal relationship with us
- Meet periodically with our vocation director
- Participate in retreats and live-ins
- Spend time in one of our small communities
- Learn about the spirit and ministries of our community
3 - The Pre-Novitiate is essentially a time of self - discovery and God discovery. During this year, you will:
- Live in our house of formation with other young women
- Prepare yourself for your future missionary service through study or work experience
- Learn about the spirit and charism of our community
- Receive personal guidance to help you make a mature vocation choice
4 - The Novitiate is a two-year period of intensive spiritual preparation for your total dedication to God through religious profession. You will be given time and space to:
- Deepen your personal relationship with Christ
- Experience alternate times of solitude and missionary service
- Develop your relationship with God through study of scriptures,theology, and the spiritual life
- Deepen your understanding and experience of poverty, celibacy and obedience through intense prayerful reflection
- Learn how we, as missionaries, live our dedication to Christ and His people
5 - Temporary Profession takes place at the end of the novitiate.
- You will spend some time in study and time in ministry.
- You will have the opportunity to experience missionary service in a cross-cultural situation.
6 - Perpetual Profession takes place after six years in temporary vows.